STATEMENT OF DIRECTORS’ RESPONSIBILITIES
The Directors are responsible for preparing the Annual Report and the Group and Company financial statements, in accordance with applicable law and regulations.
Company law requires the Directors to prepare Group and Company financial statements for each financial year. Under that law the Directors are required to prepare the Group financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as adopted by the European Union and have elected to prepare the Company financial statements in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU and as applied in accordance with the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013.
Under company law the Directors must not approve the financial statements unless they are satisfied that they give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and the Company and of their profit and loss for that period. In preparing each of the Group and the Company financial statements, the Directors are required to:
- select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
- make judgements and estimates that are reasonable and prudent;
- state that the financial statements comply with IFRSs as adopted by the EU and, in the case of the Company, as applied in accordance with the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013; and
- prepare the financial statements on the going concern basis unless it is inappropriate to presume that the Group and the Company will continue in business.
The Directors are also required by the Transparency Directive (2004/109/EC) Regulations 2007 and the Transparency Rules of the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority to include a management report containing a fair review of the business and a description of the principal risks and uncertainties facing the Group.
The Directors are responsible for keeping proper books of account which disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Company, and which enable them to ensure that the financial statements of the Group are prepared in accordance with applicable IFRSs as adopted by the EU and comply with the provision of the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013, and, as regards the Group’s financial statements, Article 4 of the European Communities (International Financial Reporting Standards and Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2005 ( the “IAS Regulations”). They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Company and the Group, and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of the corporate and financial information included on the Company’s website (www.candcgroupplc.com). Legislation in Ireland governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT as required by the transparency directive and UK corporate governance code
Each of the current Directors, whose names and functions are listed as giving this responsibility statement on this page, confirms that, to the best of his or her knowledge and belief:
- the Group financial statements, prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities and financial position of the Group at 28 February 2014 and its profit for the year then ended;
- the Company financial statements, prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU and as applied in accordance with the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities and financial position of the Company at 28 February 2014;
- the Directors’ report contained in the Annual Report includes a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Group and Company, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that they face; and
- the Group’s annual report and accounts, taken as a whole, are fair, balanced and understandable and provide the information necessary for shareholders to assess the Group’s performance, business model and strategy
On behalf of the Board
Sir B Stewart
Group Chief Executive Officer